Speed up your store
This reduces the total size of files to be loaded, as well as the number of HTTP requests (for both empty and primed caches).
A faster customer experience
Page load speed is a big factor in how long customers spend browsing your store. Faster page load times have been proven to improve customer satisfaction and increase sales.
Fooman Speedster speeds up your store, delivering an improved customer experience to keep customers browsing your store for longer.
- Compresses files without requiring gzip support on your server
- Multi store capable
- Uses the Minify library by Steve Clay (released under a BSD license)
Fooman Speedster is now controlled by an advanced self testing framework. You can only enable Speedster once the configuration has been set up correctly and all self tests run successfully.
Fooman Speedster works out of the box using an Apache platform run on Linux. In addition:
- Mod_rewrite (a standard Apache module installed by default on most Linux servers) must be enabled
- .htaccess must be supported
- CSS images must be available under the same domain as the store
Is Fooman Speedster Right for my Store?
- Your store already contains minified files
- Your store uses Jquery (or has extensions installed which use Jquery) - although a workaround is provided in the instructions, almost 100% of reported errors are from stores which also use Jquery
Customer Case Study
Meanbee are a small and talented team of eCommerce developers with Magento Certified Developer and Frontend Developer certifications - the gold standard of Magento developer competence. Working with Magento since its beta version in 2007, Meanbee developers have deployed over thirty successful sites. In addition to full-site builds, Meanbee are also active in the Magento extension market.
Meanbee uses Fooman Speedster as a standard installation on client store builds. "It's simply the best asset merging technique out there for Magento. It's very well thought out and implemented", Meanbee Managing Director Tom Robertshaw.
- The Golden Master List of Magento Performance Enhancements (by Mark Shust)
- Ten Killer Magento Extensions (by Ebay Developers Program)
- 7 Worthy Magento Extensions (by Practical Ecommerce)
- Top 10 must-have free Magento extensions (by Neweb)
- Speed Up Magento: Performance & Hosting Tips for Better Conversion (by Fast Division)
- Fooman Speedster gives Magento Legs (by Neuerfindung) - in German
License Open Software License (OSL) Stability Stable Supported Magento Versions (full feature set) 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 1.9.1 Legacy Magento Version Support (reduced feature set) Not Applicable Supported Magento Enterprise Versions Not Applicable Change Log 3.0.14 compatibility with Magento 1.9.0, flexible baseDir to support modman installs, create minifiycache dir on the fly
3.0.5 latest common module
3.0.4 autoload changes
3.0.2 loosen checks on block rewrites 3.0.1 Incorporates security update to the Minify library (v2.1.7) and new self testing framework with "enable" option for Fooman Speedster
2.0.9 Enhancement: - order skin_js after global js fix: packaging.js exclusion
2.0.8 1.6. compatibility - workaround for packaging.js
2.0.7 Re-packaged to hopefully prevent chmod error during Magento Connect installation
2.0.6 Enhancement and bugfixes for folder detection in m.php
2.0.0 Easier installation - no need to edit .htaccess file any longer
(you can remove the snippet from the root .htaccess file if you have updated)
reshuffled minify library -> extension can now be used in conjunction with Magento's compiler
1.2.0 Remove validation-4min.js - extension now requires Magento 1.4+
1.1.3 Only replace the correct validation.js
1.1.0 Fix canonical url output, updated bundled validation.js to newer build
1.0.4 Updated bundled validation.js to newer build, minor fixes
1.0.2 Updated to newer minify build
1.0.0 First Stable Release
0.9.4 RC1 (updated to minify 2.1.2, added support for minifying skin_js)
0.9.3 Reversed adding subdirectory to paths
0.9.2 Change in detection of subdirectory
0.9.1 Correct timestamps for subdirectory installs
0.9.0 Fixed bug in handling of subdirectories - .htaccess has been UPDATED!
0.8.2 Removed check for core dependency
0.8.1 Automatically configure paths for multi stores
0.8.0 Multi store functionality now supported - please read the documentation forum for details
0.7.16 Updated to work with Magento 1.2 - form_key support, thanks jemoon
0.7.15 Fixed multiple sites date stamp issue
0.7.14 Reworked paths - should enhance cross-platform support
0.7.10 Admin areas now supported, reworked folder handling - .htaccess HAS CHANGED!
0.7.9 Set docroot for IIS - could solve image handling bug
0.7.8 Fixed bug introduced with 0.7.7 - automatic handing of validiation-4min.js
0.7.7 Update to Minify 2.1.1 (support for symlinks)
0.7.6 Load CSS before JS - this should allow the browser to render the page earlier
0.7.5 Fixed bug introduced with 0.7.4 (load JS/CSS securely when needed)
0.7.4 Non-webroot installations now handled properly (.htaccess needs to be changed accordingly)
0.7.3 Handle js_css files
0.7.2 Fixed bug with index.php
0.7.1 Added .htaccess to /lib/minify folder to allow access
0.7.0 Automatic versioning support, automatic configuration of used skin and proper Magento field validation
To install the extension, follow the steps in The Ultimate Guide to Installing Magento Extensions and Fooman Speedster User Manual.
Known conflicts with Fooman Speedster
- CANONICAL URLs by Yoast - a workaround is provided
- MXPERTS JQUERY BASE - a workaround is provided
The Ultimate Guide to Installing Magento Extensions User Manual - Fooman Speedster
Below, you can find answers to questions you might have about the extension functionality, and common questions asked by customers before they purchase the extension.
Do you have a general question (eg. about licensing or your account), or a specific troubleshooting issue? Check out our Help Centre.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use Fooman Speedster or Fooman Speedster Advanced?
Fooman Speedster works on most servers. Fooman Speedster Advanced supports a smarter caching strategy and improved speed performance, but requires specific server functionality to work.
Answer these four questions to determine which version of Speedster is best suited to your needs:
1. Do you use Magento Version 1.4 or above?
2. Does your server send Far Future Expire Headers?
3. Does your server send gzip content?
4. Did you understand the last two questions?
If you answered 'NO' to any of the four questions, you should install the original Fooman Speedster extension.
If you answered 'YES' to all questions, you should install Fooman Speedster Advanced.
Are there any known conflicts between Fooman Speedster and other Magento extensions?
The following extensions conflict with Fooman Speedster:
• Canonical Urls by Yoast
• Mxperts Jquery Base
In both cases, a workaround can be installed during installation - see below for details.
Does Fooman Speedster add any settings or admin menus?
From version 3.0 onwards, Fooman Speedster adds a global on/off switch under System > Configuration > Fooman Speedster. Earlier extension versions do not add any settings or admin menus to your Magento store.
Can I use the extension with Magento Enterprise?
No - however we recommend you look at our Fooman Speedster Advanced extension.
Where can I find support for Fooman Speedster?
For troubleshooting, please:
• Follow the installation instructions in The Ultimate Guide to Installing Magento Extensions
• Follow all troubleshooting steps in the Fooman Speedster User Manual
• Ensure that your store does not already contains minified files
• Ensure that you are not running any conflicting extensions This usually solves 95% of issues we receive. If an error still persists after following the instructions and troubleshooting advice above, please contact your Magento developer or disable the extension as we are unable to provide individualised support for free on a free extension..
Feel free to contact us to report any suspected bugs with the extension if you are able to replicate the issue on a default Magento install, however please note that we are unable to provide individual troubleshooting advice.
Why don't you offer an installation service for Fooman Speedster?
We have found in the past that the installation could lead to more required changes in the custom theme or in previously installed extensions. This is not something that we can offer at a fixed price which is fair to everyone and we have decided the installation of Speedster is best left to the developer who has set up the rest of your website, since they know the history of existing installed components.